Tuesday, April 10, 2007

My questionair for the Hogwarts-sock-swap

Hogwarts Sock Swap Questionnaire
Want to Get Sorted?

I'm
a Gryffindor!


I was told we’d get more points if I responded “with enthusiasm” and linked to the sock swap site. Well, here is the link: http://Hogwarts-sock-swap.blogspot.com

Or maybe they meant I should link there. Hmmmm. Well, maybe someone will tell me if I got it wrong. There is a link there already to take you here, although earlier today it was not working, but then, earlier that that I couldn’t get there at all. Mysterious place, cyber space.

And now for the enthusiasm…. I was thinking about Harry’s trip to Ollivander’s , and the various measurements the tape took, including between his nostrils, so I took a few extra measurements of my own.

What Hogwarts house have you been sorted into?

Gryffindor! (Can’t you hear the Sorting Hat shouting?)

1. Shoe size?

Well, I am really an eight and a half triple E, but you almost never find that, so I just buy nines.

2. Foot Length?

The left foot is ten inches, and the right foot is – drumroll – Nine and Three Quarters! Like the Platform!

3. Foot Circumference?

Again, Nine and three quarters! Which would seem somehow to indicate that I have one square foot in there somewhere, but it really just looks like any old foot, but wider.

Now for the extra, possibly-useful-but-not-called-for-so-I-guess-it-is-totally-within-the-rules-to-ignore-them measurements….

Ankle circumference – eight and half on one leg, eight and three quarters on the other.

Circumference of leg nine inches up from ground – thirteen and a half inches.

Circumference of middle toe on left foot – two and one-eighth inches…

Don’t let these measurements scare you, because I like my socks to fit snugly, so if they are at least an inch smaller than my foot circumference, and possibly a little more, that is probably just fine.

4. List your three favorite double-point needle brands, including size and length.

This is a little embarrassing, because I usually knit with whatever I get at the rummage sales and so forth, but ones I have used and liked are:
a. Boye aluminum, seven inches, size one
b. Inox steel, 8 inches, for sizes below zero. I’m not sure I have them in zero itself. I wish they were an inch or two shorter, but that is how they come. (I have 0000, 000,00… when you get to one I think they are a little heavy)
c. I used to have one set of Addi grey coated needles in size 1.5 (It is the millimeter size between what we normally call one and what we normally call two.) Those were nice. I don’t like the bluntness on the single point Addis at all, though.

5. Would you like to try a new brand needle? If so, which brand? Size? Length? I would like to try the Knit picks needles. They are six inches long, and I could use a set of size one’s. I don’t normally like knitting with bamboo, wood or plastic, so I would really prefer metal ones.

6. If you are a RAVENCLAW, do you prefer the colors in the film or the book? Do you have a strong preference?

7. Are you willing to have an international Hogwarts Sock Pal? Yes.

I hope this is appropriate enthusiasm! I am busy thinking about what kind of socks I can make…

No comments: