Friday, May 25, 2007

Hogwarts-sock-swap Hufflepuff socks!



This is the sock I am working on for my pal. Obviously, she is a Hufflepuff, and I chose a few themes for her package - one in the Goblet of Fire, which I think is the book where, because of Cedric, we really see the most of Hufflepuff, and the other is flowers, because Professor Sprout is the Head of House.

I designed this sock around the Tri-Wizard Tournament. The False Flame stitch at the top represents the Dragons. The Blister stitch, which looks like bubbles, represents the challenge in the lake - from the bubbles in Harry's bath, to the bubbles air breathers make underwater, to the Bubblehead Charm Cedric used. The Maze represents the maze. They are all from Barbara Walker (The second book). I am knitting it in Elann's Sock it to Me Collection sock yarn - Elann does not have any right now and I don't now if they are going to carry it in the future, but it is nice, not splitty, 230 yards to 50 grams 75% superwash wool and 25% polyamide. I've also used it for Fair Isle socks.

Technical notes:

I wanted the design to flow better and I tried several ways to get the bubbles to fit into the false flame stitch, obviously without success, although I am sure it can be done. I 'm fairly happy with the way the maze picks up from the bubbles, but I have questioned whether it might not look better with a contrasting purl row in black between each section.

The first two patterns are slip stitch, and had to be worked on a very small needle - 000 - in order to get guage. They are very elastic, and that is much better for a sock than being restricted by the floats in Fair Isle the way I make them. I am certain that people who are more experienced at Fair Isle than I am can control the tension of their floats better, but I still think the slip stitch is more elastic by nature. In these patterns you work one color per row, and the other color is carried up or down by dip stitches or by slipping.

The third pattern is a mosaic pattern. It is much tighter than slip stitch and I had to use a needle two sizes larger, and perhaps should have used one Three sizes larger to perfectly match guage, although it is pretty close. It is also very much less elastic, although still elastic enough for a sock, perhaps in part because I patterned the top,but the bottom is just plain stockinette stripes. I am a little concerned about the line where I am carrying the colors up, on the bottom of the foot, but I am probably being paranoid. I plan to carry this pattern down to the toe shaping. I looked for a mosaic or slip stitch pattern that would look like the cup itself but did not find one. I'm not sure how to design one and I want these socks to be done in one lifetime, so I decided to do without the cup. (Besides which, it was not a happy thing for Cedric, that cup...)

On a symbolic level I am quite happy. On an artistic level I am not quite sure - when it is further along I will be able to judge better. It was a nice stretch trying to design a pattern to go with the book, though. I have ideas for patterns for some of the other books as well, and a great idea for a Slytherin House sock...

21 comments:

Unknown said...

Those look great! I would love them if I was a Hufflepuff!!

bonitapita said...

Wow! Those are amazing! Its so hard to pick which Hufflepuff socks I would want (like its MY decision!) but I would be so proud to receive those socks! And I love all the thought you put into them...it makes them even more special!

Jules said...

WOW. I mean...that is an awesome pattern. Your pal will love them!

Jules said...

WOW. I mean...that is an awesome pattern. Your pal will love them!

Rebecca said...

WOW! How clever you are! These socks are absolutely incredible. Thanks for putting all the thought into your design. I'm sure your pal will appreciate it.

5 HOUSE POINTS to GRYFFINDOR!

Joan said...

woohoo, those are fabulous!

Jill said...

Those are freaking amazing! Go you!

Jen Smith said...

Too many fabulous Hufflepuff socks out there. I'm so glad I don't have to choose a pair! I think my head would explode.

These are amazing. I love the symbolism.

smariek said...

Wow, very nice cohesive design. Love the symbolism of each pattern. Can't wait to see them finished.

Unknown said...

T, those are some great socks!!! I'm sure that your pal will love them.

Libby

Suzann said...

Oh T, they are wonderful. The patterns just go together so well. I love how you are telling a story with the stitches.
Your pal is going to love them.

junior_goddess said...

i think they are great!

benne said...

T, those socks are fantastic! I like the three challenges telling the story of Cedric and the Hufflepuffs. You are a witty writer and a witty sockknitter. Your pal is going to flip for these socks!

Having a Knit Fitt said...

What amazing soks! Can't wait to see them finished. Your pal will be stunned.
Cate

LisaW. said...

Stunned...mouth open...jaw dropped...stoopid look...you are an artiste! Technical, color, balance, symbolism...yep...a bonafide artiste.

Shannah said...

Thank you so much for the nice comment.

And oh-my-gosh-those-are-the-most-beautiful-socks-EVER (it just came out so fast I had to type it as one word)!!! Fabulous.

Jennifer said...

WOW! I love them.

jayne said...

How very cool! I would wear those.

You are putting a lot of thought and thoughtfulness into these. Your pal will be thrilled.

Who wouldn't??

Rani said...

That is such a cool idea!!! (knitting with metaphors - Triwizard Tourney) Very very creative!

Joan said...

Yeesh...are we ever going to have a Potter post in June?? :-p

inukshuk71 said...

You put so much thought and hard work into those socks, I am sure your pal will be get tears in her eyes when she sees them.