Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Sweater Weather

There are two ways to know fall is coming in this neck of the woods. It gets cold, and Smiley's starts having sales again.

This year these two coincided. Saturday was the last day of the September store sale and the first really chilly day I've noticed. I don't leave the house much so I might have missed one, but it still would have been last week.

Yes, I went to the sale, and the yarn fairies were with me. I got a second bag of the yellow yarn I bought last spring, in the same dye lot. This virtually ensures tha the first bag, which should have been exactly enough for the sweater planned, WILL be wexactly enough, and I will have a bag of yarn left over - uh, I mean, for another project. And I do already have a pattern in mind...

I got two other bags of the same yarn, in, um, dark beige? Light Taupe? Whatever. It is an acrylic/rayon blend from Filatura di Crosa, and seems to knit up nicely from the swatching I did. Two bags ought to be enough for a sweater with sleeves, if I want one.

I also got some more or less miscellaneous sock yarn - Three balls of Plymouth Encore DK - two burgundy, one gold, for Gryffindor socks; three balls of Calzetteria in a very dark charcoal grey and two of a brown multi for socks; one random ball of worsted because I am considering buying a sweater's worth in that color and wanted to test it out on me, and two balls of something mysterious for a secret project/purpose.

All of this set me back...well, I got change from sixty dollars, for 39 balls of yarn. Unless I forgot something... Can't complain... I do think I may got to the sale on Long Island, though. I forgot to get a bag of wool yarn for ten dollars, and I might want to make a black sweater...

6 comments:

LisaW. said...

one of my goals in life is to go to a Smiley's sale.....as a knitter who likes..no...LOVES a bargain on yarn, even the on-line sales are awesome..sadly they do not ship to Alaska...one day, I will again be on the EastCoast at the right time of year...and look out, I'll be the big hick gal elbowing everyone out of the way!

Gryffinitter said...

One of these days I am going to order from the online sale just to see what it is like to get something from them in the mail. I've been shopping there in person so long that the entire crop of old ladies who used to work there seem to have died off and the new crop of old ladies is - gulp - My age...it is the only store on earth my son has ever been able to buy me something without my help (Or my Husband's or mother's) One of the clerks helped him one day...

I dangle the facts that I live thirty minutes from teh store adn have a spare bedroom in front of you like a carrot...

Suzann said...

Great score T. Whenever we visited my in laws in Ozone Park, I made someone drive me to Smiley's. I was never there at sale time though.
The old ladies are dead eek. They were old when I wasn't. I thought they would live forever on wool dust :-)

LisaW. said...

hey, if i ever get a conference in your area, i'm looking you up! heck if i ever go see my wayward sister in Fresh meadow, i'll look you up!

junior_goddess said...

Snot. I wanna go too!!!

Joan said...

I have no idea what Smiley's is. LOL. But I am glad you found even more yellow yarn. (??) I think. ;-p